【Hold】

You might want to hold off on the order until next spring.

你也許可以考慮把這筆訂單延到明年春天。

He was holding down two jobs in order to pay his rent.

他以前身兼兩份工作以支付房租。

We can’t afford to hold out against their offer much longer.

我們無法再繼續拒絕他們的提案了。

 

【Put】

The new CEO doesn’t put up with average performance.

新的執行長不能忍受普通的工作表現。

This improved production process puts out twice as many units as before.

這項改良過後的生產流程讓生產力提升兩倍。

If everyone can make it next week, we’ll put off the final discussion until then.

若大家下個禮拜能來,我們就把最終討論到那時。

 

【Run】

If we run across the president, I’ll introduce you to her.

若我們碰見總裁,我會把你介紹給她。

The team should run through the steps one more time.

小組應該再一次流程。

They ran up a large bill at the bar in just a few hours.

他們才在酒吧幾個小時就已累積了一筆高額帳單。

 

【Look】

Peter’s neighbor looked after his dog while he went on a business trip.

彼得的鄰居在他出差時幫他照顧他的狗。

Look out for each other so no one gets hurt.

請彼此關照以避免任何人受傷。

Investors can look forward to better returns in the near future.

投資者可以期盼在不久後得到更好的投資報酬。

 

【Play】

The chairman will play down the negative rumors about our position in the market.

董事長將會盡量減少對於我們在市場地位的不利傳言。

In the next presentation, I’ll play up the importance of the product’s durability.

在下場簡報中,我會著重在此產品耐久的重要性。

We can play with the order of the presentations later.

我們之後可以再調整簡報內容的順序。

---

※本文節錄自《商務英文簡報技巧全攻略(20K+寂天雲隨身聽APP)

※延伸閱讀:

[講堂] 口語式片語動詞的變化 Part 1

[講堂] 表達感受

[講堂] 看插畫背熟新制多益單字:教育篇


好書推薦